About Woodfibre LNG

Setting a New Global Standard for Sustainably Produced LNG

Woodfibre LNG will be among the lowest emission LNG export facilities in the world.

Work camps setup at the bank of a lake that has cars, a pier and a boat, with a mountain in the background under a blue sky.

The Project

The Woodfibre LNG Project will be the world’s first net zero LNG export facility, being constructed on the historical site of Swiy̓át, a Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation) village, in Nexwnéwu7ts Átlḵ’a7tsem (Howe Sound). The Project includes the construction of a liquefaction train, a floating LNG storage and offloading unit, an air-cooling system, and marine docking facilities for LNG carriers. Woodfibre LNG will produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes of LNG per year during operations.

Woodfibre LNG is incredibly proud to be the first industrial project in Canada to recognize a non-treaty Indigenous government, the Squamish Nation, as a full environmental regulator.

Taking a collaborative approach to obtain consent on the Project resulted in the first-of-its kind Squamish Nation Environmental Assessment Agreement, which includes 29 legally binding conditions for the Project. We acknowledge the Squamish Nation as a key partner in our journey.


Woodfibre LNG is located approximately seven kilometres southwest of Squamish, B.C., on the west side of Howe Sound, on the historical site of Swiy̓át, a Squamish Nation village and former location of the Woodfibre pulp mill site.


The Woodfibre LNG Project is operated by Woodfibre Management Ltd, a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver, British Columbia. The Project is owned by Woodfibre LNG Limited Partnership, with 70 per cent held by Pacific Energy Corporation (Canada) Limited and the remaining 30 per cent by Enbridge Inc.

Sustainability Initiatives

Global Energy Transition

Environmental Stewardship

Sustainable Gas Sourcing

Global Energy Transition

Natural gas and LNG are important energy sources to complement development of intermittent renewable energy like solar and wind power. Woodfibre LNG is committed to producing LNG in a way that can support global energy security goals and align with climate policy objectives.

Canada and B.C. have natural, competitive advantages to supply gas to the rest of the world. These advantages include strict regulatory and environmental frameworks, access to renewable hydroelectricity, legislative requirements for consultation with Indigenous peoples, and a skilled workforce.

Environmental Stewardship

Powered by renewable hydroelectricity from BC Hydro, Woodfibre LNG is positioned to be among the lowest emission LNG export facilities in the world. Woodfibre LNG is proud to feature electric compressors in our liquefaction facility instead of natural gas-powered compressors. This innovation along with other emissions reduction technologies will result in the carbon intensity of the Woodfibre LNG facility being approximately 0.04 tonnes of CO2e per tonne of LNG (tCO2e/tLNG), well below the B.C. regulatory benchmark of 0.16 tCO2e/tLNG (Net Zero Roadmap, Pg 13).

Woodfibre LNG recognizes the privilege of working in Howe Sound – a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve that is also a natural deep-water port well suited for shipping. Working with its environmental regulator, the Squamish Nation, Woodfibre LNG has designed the Project to have the smallest possible impact on the region and are committed to providing new marine habitat over and above the Project’s footprint to ensure Howe Sound continues to thrive today and into the future.

Sustainable Gas Sourcing 

Woodfibre LNG is committed to sourcing its natural gas responsibly. Woodfibre LNG sources gas from its sister company, Pacific Canbriam Energy, a Canadian company with operations in Northeastern British Columbia, known for its leadership in responsible natural gas production. Pacific Canbriam Energy is Canada’s second gas producer to earn an EO100™ Standard Certification from Equitable Origin. Woodfibre LNG and Pacific Canbriam Energy are both subsidiaries of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.