The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves the construction and operation of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and would produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre Management Ltd is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
The Director, Communications will be a proactive self-starter with excellent communication and relationship skills. Reporting to the president, the successful candidate will develop and implement a broad range of communication materials, strategies and approaches for Woodfibre LNG (WLNG). This role supervises two team members and utilizes external providers to supplement the core team.
The Director, Communications will work to promote, protect and enhance the reputation of Woodfibre LNG. Through a collaborative process of developing and implementing communications products, the Director will manage multiple strategies to support the needs of several departments. The candidate will handle media relations, oversee issues management and coordinate the company’s online and social media presence.
The successful applicant will:
- Plan and manage WLNG’s internal and external communications programs while collaborating on building Woodfibre LNG’s brand strategy.
- Provide communications advice and support to the President, Vice President of Government and External Relations and Vice President of Human Resources.
- Support the Government and External Relations team in communications programming and collateral development for community engagement and stakeholder management programs.
- Support government relations efforts and material development as required.
- Support the Human Resources team in communications programming, design and collateral development related to recruitment and WLNG’s employee value proposition.
- Collaborate with other departments to develop communication plans and activities.
- Lead, develop, evaluate and advise on communication strategies and initiatives.
- Anticipate and track issues or areas of stakeholder concern.
- Lead significant proactive and reactive issues management activities, including research and writing media statements, backgrounders, fact sheets, Q&A documents, and other communication materials.
- Develop new communications media and programs.
- Identify messaging opportunities, anticipate communication needs and lead the development of related materials well before deployment.
- Track stakeholder comments and concerns, coordinate responses to complaints during project construction and integrate the feedback into the project’s communication strategy.
- Identify and manage issues; while monitoring and executing response strategies.
- Assist other departments with community engagement and stakeholder relations plans and activities such as community events and job fairs.
- Be responsible for print, digital and video material production for external audiences across WLNG’s online communications channels – woodfibrelng.ca, askwoodfibrelng.ca, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts.
- Be responsible for crisis communications planning and related training and exercises.
- Support the organization’s efforts towards its HSE and sustainability goals.
- Manage the communications department, including personnel and budget management.
- Act as the initial contact for the media, responding to media inquiries, acting as Woodfibre LNG’s spokesperson as required, and attending media or stakeholder events where needed.
- Support WLNG’s parent company communication initiatives as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- A minimum of ten years of experience in corporate communications at a mid/senior level, with supervisory experience.
- Degree in communications or related field or combination of diploma in journalism or public relations; and experience in public relations
- Ability to work collaboratively with others in a multi-departmental environment while building relationships with external stakeholders
- Integrated public relations, stakeholder engagement, issues management, media relations, marketing and digital communications skills
- Familiarity with natural resource communications in British Columbia, working with regulated companies or organizations and communicating within complex stakeholder environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to absorb technical information and present it in non-complex, easily understood written and graphic formats
- Skilled at empathetic writing and demonstrates an understanding of stakeholder sensitivities.
- A strong understanding of social media and video production and a good eye for visual communication through photos, graphics and video
- Demonstrated competence in crisis communications and real-life scenarios while working closely with senior executives and stakeholders.
- Proven experience managing corporate social media channels.
- Strong organizational skills and a keen sense of priority setting
- Capacity to work under pressure while meeting very tight deadlines in an environment with conflicting priorities across multiple time zones
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills.
- A valid BC driver’s licence and passport.
- This role will be based in our Vancouver office, but it will involve travel to and from Squamish, BC. The position may also include occasional travel to Houston, Texas; Calgary, Alberta; and trips to our sister business units in Asia.
Please email your resume to [email protected] – with the subject header Director, Communications.
Woodfibre LNG employees based in, or working out of, the Vancouver office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with our COVID-19 Vaccination guideline as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required. If you are not able to obtain COVID-19 vaccination for a reason related to a protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation, you can request an accommodation from Woodfibre LNG.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre Management Ltd is an equal-opportunity employer.