The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves constructing and operating a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre Management Ltd is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
The Civil /Structural Site Superintendent is integral to Woodfibre LNG’s dynamic team. You will oversee and direct the performance of all field construction activities for assigned craft areas in conformance with plans, specifications, schedules, and cost estimates. The position requires assessing the overall picture and alternative approaches to project objectives. This position directs other line supervisors, as necessary in their roles, to meet or exceed all project objectives. This position is typically responsible for numerous crafts, large or multiple areas, and large numbers of craftsmen, multiple shifts, often including direct oversight or coordination of other contractors/subcontractors. The successful candidate reports directly to the Area Construction Manager and will support the company’s construction and senior management team through the project’s construction phase.
The successful applicant will:
- Plan and direct the work activities for assigned construction crafts in alignment with available engineering deliverables, tools, construction equipment, and materials.
- Confirm that subordinate line supervisors and construction craftsmen are trained and knowledgeable of specifications and work procedures, that material is being utilized to ensure optimum efficiency, and that work is being performed in conformance with specified quality requirements.
- Assist with managing contractor activities in conjunction with the contracts administration group.
- Monitor the work activities schedules and manpower requirements to meet established completion dates and optimize productivity.
- Approve or authorize the coordination of craft personnel, material, and equipment needed to meet schedules; typically, responsible for establishing construction crew organization and composition, including craftsmen qualification level, foremen and general foremen.
- Oversee all activities driven by scope change management and project control elements.
- Play an active role in developing the safety culture on the project, making safety a natural part of all work performed.
- Manage all small tools and consumables to ensure a cost-effective and productive construction execution.
- Manage construction equipment as required, including planning, monitoring, and controlling to ensure safe and efficient construction execution.
- Directly support project and construction management by planning and utilizing proper means and methods for all construction activities.
- Typically manage personnel and provide an environment for staff members’ development and professional advancement, development opportunities, and timely performance feedback.
- Leverage internal and external resources to administer policies and procedures consistently.
- Analyze situations, identify and forecast pertinent problems and recommend/implement appropriate action.
- Organize and prioritize various complex projects and multiple tasks effectively and on time, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Ensure safety compliance with WLNG Occupational Health and Safety programs.
- Promote an authentic HSE culture with a lead-by-example attitude while participating in all aspects of developing safe work plans, JHA, reporting and developing corrective actions as required.
- Ensure compliance with WLNG Environmental Management Plans and meet permit requirements set forth by stakeholders, environmental agencies, and the district of Squamish.
- Ensure all work performed is permitted under WLNG/Contractor Permit to Work.
- Provide daily reporting and records as required for monitoring and auditing compliance.
- Supervise and coordinate ongoing site construction activities per approved execution plans, specifications, and field change notices.
- Ensure contractors are meeting or exceeding WLNG contractual and regulatory requirements for the execution and performance of work.
- Monitor, audit, and guide contractors in the execution of their responsibilities – to ensure safety and environmental schedule is within WLNG requirements.
- Work within the PMT construction team, promoting professionalism and team spirit.
- Work closely with PMT Engineering to resolve issues and offer alternative solutions to progress the work. Review all as-built drawings that are acceptable to the actual site conditions.
- Participate in regular meetings to review contractor status, schedule performance, HSE, and Environmental issues.
- Ensure adherence to QA/QC approved plans and do periodic audits to ensure compliance.
- Participate in ITP hold points and ensure all required specifications per approved IFC drawings meet WLNG requirements.
- Participate and be part of the Emergency Response/ Incident Command System.
- Participate in regular emergency exercises and safety observation programs.
- Responds to emergencies at the site in the event of an incident affecting site operations/security as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor – Civil Engineering or accumulated years of extensive civil and structural work.
- Craft certification, training, and experience appropriate for assignment scope; directly related experience equal to fifteen +15 years; some locations may have additional or different qualifications to comply with local requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively with audiences that include but are not limited to management, coworkers, clients, vendors, contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Job-related technical knowledge necessary to complete the job.
- Ability to attend to detail and work in a time-conscious and time-effective manner.
- Attend all required training courses and certifications related to ongoing and new works.
- Specific training will be provided by WLNG as required in areas such as Confined space, Work at Height, First Aid, Incident Command, etc.
- Willing to comply with WLNG’s drug-free and harassment-free work environment and all safety policies and procedures.
- Good team and organizational skills.
- Must be flexible to work split shifts, overtime and weekends as required to support maintenance and construction schedules.
- Performs other general duties and requirements to support site staff.
- Squamish Area residents with a 30-minute drive are preferred.
- Must be comfortable with a marine-type environment as the site is remote and travel daily is by boat only.
- Experience working with large multi-disciplinary teams and contractors in a multicultural environment is an asset.
- Communication/interpersonal skills – interacting with front-line workers through to management and all hierarchical levels.
- Accepts responsibility and demonstrates a commitment to the delivery of tasks and targets.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be Innovative and vision-oriented with demonstrated ability to undertake both strategic planning and implementation.
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks and changing priorities within tight time frames.
- Demonstrates and seeks accountability within the team.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Expertise with a variety of computer programs (e.g., MS Office).
- Motivated and willing to take ownership of tasks.
- Energetic in pursuit of continuous improvement processes.
- Shares knowledge readily and encourages personal development.
- A valid driver’s licence (with abstract) and passport.
- Must be comfortable with a marine-type environment as the site is remote and travel daily is by boat only and is approximately 7km from Squamish.
- The position is based at our Site in Squamish, BC. There may be occasional travel to a local engineering office in the Vancouver area, the EPC contractor’s office in Houston or the Company’s Vancouver Office.
Please submit your application here.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre Management Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer.