The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves constructing and operating a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre LNG Limited is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
Woodfibre LNG is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel in our Vancouver or Calgary offices for a term opportunity that will begin in early 2023 and continue to the end of project commissioning in 2027. While this role’s duration is limited, opportunities for transfer into other Pacific Energy Canada enterprise areas may be available when the Woodfibre LNG role winds down.
The role reports commercially to the President of Woodfibre LNG and functionally to the Vice President, Legal and is part of a small, cross-functional team that serves the diverse needs of the Woodfibre LNG project.
The ideal candidate would bring a strong work ethic, exceptional drafting skills, sound judgment, and a pragmatic, practical and creative approach to the in-house legal role. But, more importantly, we are looking for candidates who desire to be part of one of the first LNG projects in Canada and the greenest in the world.
As a small, high-performing legal team, our members are expected to handle a broad range of legal matters that companies face in the energy industry. While workloads may be allocated to various team members with a particular experience or interest – we are looking for self-starters who can quickly identify and prioritize legal and commercial issues. Working collaboratively with stakeholders (internal and external) to develop practical and risk-balanced solutions should also be a core priority.
Ideal candidates should have broad and deep experience in the development or regulation of natural resource projects in Canada, with an ability to address a wide range of issues and prepare a variety of agreements, including but not limited to the following:
- Regulatory matters at the federal, provincial, municipal and First Nations levels;
- Environmental and regulatory compliance;
- Permitting processes, including First Nations consultation;
- Implementation of Impact Benefit Agreements with First Nations;
- Procurement (focused on local and Indigenous procurement);
- Planning for and implementing the company’s response to civil disobedience;
- Contract negotiation, drafting, review, processing and management; and,
- Business development, including Non-Disclosure Agreements, Letters of Intent and purchase and sale agreements.
It is not expected that the ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate mastery in all of the above categories; however, preferred candidates should demonstrate material experience in several of the above.
- At least 8+ years experience in commercial and natural resource-related law in British Columbia or Alberta.
- Canadian law degree and current membership (or willingness to obtain membership) in British Columbia or Alberta law society.
Please email your resume to [email protected] – with the subject header Senior Legal Counsel.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Woodfibre LNG continues to work on a hybrid work model, with a minimum of three days per week of in-office work. Employees currently have the flexibility to work from home two days per week. Still, they will be required to attend meetings and events within the office, at the project site in Squamish, the Pacific Energy Canada Limited office in Calgary, and our engineering office in Houston, Texas, when required.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre LNG Ltd is an equal-opportunity employer.