The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves the construction and operation of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and would produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre Management Ltd is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
The Permitting Manager is an integral part of Woodfibre LNG’s dynamic team. You will lead and oversee the environmental management practices of a construction project. You will not only be responsible for implementing the project’s regulatory, permitting and environmental compliance strategy but also contribute to Woodfibre LNG’s enduring dedication to corporate social responsibility. The successful candidate will report directly to the Senior Regulatory Manager and take leadership in obtaining permits and approvals for the project consistent with project requirements.
The successful applicant will:
- Manage necessary work required to prepare and obtain required permits and approvals.
- Work collaboratively with internal teams, external contractors, and consultants to advance project design and execution aligned with regulatory requirements and company commitments.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with external parties, including regulatory agencies, Indigenous Groups and interested parties as it relates to the regulatory activities of the project.
- Support the development and implementation of a compliance management system to track and demonstrate compliance with the project’s regulatory and environmental commitments and conditions.
- Develop, maintain and meet schedules and budgets for regulatory activities.
- Support the team in responding to local media, government, Indigenous and NGO groups and implementing actions toward the Company’s sustainability goals.
- Provide leadership through a personal commitment to influence overall safety behaviour and a culture of environmental compliance; demonstrates compliance with company HSE policies and guidelines.
- University Degree in an environmental discipline (e.g. environmental science, environmental engineering, biology, ecology, resource management).
- At least 12 years experience, including work on large natural resource or infrastructure projects in Western Canada, including British Columbia, with experience managing a range of regulatory and permitting processes.
- Proven track record in obtaining approvals, including permits or management plans for major projects across multiple levels of government.
- Experience conducting consultation with Indigenous Groups and demonstrated cultural agility.
- Experience embedding environmental design requirements into engineering design and construction execution plans.
- Experience working in the oil and gas sector or in developing large marine infrastructure projects in British Columbia.
- Experience in an environmental role as a project owner/operator.
- Experience working with large multi-disciplinary teams and contractors in a multicultural environment is an asset.
- Communication/interpersonal skills – interacting with front-line workers through to management and all hierarchical levels.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be Innovative and vision-oriented with demonstrated ability to undertake strategic planning and implementation.
- Ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks, and change priorities within tight time frames.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Expertise with various computer programs (e.g. MS Office), MS Visio, Aconex and Borealis.
- Motivated and willing to take ownership of tasks.
- Energetic in pursuit of continuous improvement processes and complex problem definition and resolution. Shares knowledge readily and encourages personal development.
- A valid driver’s licence and passport.
- As required, the position is based in Vancouver, BC, with travel to the EPC contractor’s office in Houston and Squamish (site).
Please submit your application here.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Woodfibre LNG employees based in, or work out of, Vancouver office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with our COVID-19 Vaccination guideline as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required. If you are not able to obtain COVID-19 vaccination for a reason related to a protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation, you can request accommodation from Woodfibre LNG.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre Management Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer.