The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves the construction and operation of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and would produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre LNG Limited is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
The Director of Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE) provides strategic leadership and management of the HSSE function across Woodfibre LNG (WLNG). The incumbent will champion the development, planning, implementation, and maintenance of the company’s HSSE programs and systems and be an integral part of the development of WLNG’s HSSE strategy.
The successful candidate will lead a small corporate team and support our site and project HSSE teams in developing all HSSE-related programs and systems. In addition, the candidate will provide strategic guidance and oversight to ensure organizational compliance with local, provincial, and federal HSSE laws and regulations.
This leadership position will drive safety innovation across multiple locations while leading the safety/risk associated with a large-scale construction project and future operational activities. The candidate will continuously drive excellence in core health and safety management systems and processes and facilitates integration into overall business operations for compliance, productivity and growth.
The successful applicant will:
- Develop and lead the HSSE Management System for the company.
- Develop, implement, and manage all Safety and Health policies, procedures, and activities to ensure a safe work environment for all employees.
- Defines corporate HSSE objectives annually and assists site and project teams in setting objectives.
- Implement an assurance strategy to monitor compliance against the project HSSE Execution Plan and HSSE procedures.
- Manage incident reporting and follow-up programs, including the analysis of trends and improvements.
- Provides oversight of incident investigations and corrective actions; ensures adequate corrective measures are implemented to prevent a recurrence.
- Ensure that all incidents are correctly classified, investigated, and corrective actions and lessons learned are developed, closed on time and shared within the company.
- Collect and analyze HSSE data and develop goals, dashboards, and metrics to track effectiveness and areas of improvement.
- Play a lead role in developing and managing our ERP through support to site and project teams.
- Review and approve contractor’s health and safety management plans and safe operating procedures to ensure that controls are in place to achieve the lowest acceptable risk to eliminate or control the risks associated with the tasks.
- Lead, facilitate and implement project hazard analysis and risk assessment process across the company.
- Develop and drive current and future sustainability and ESG programs.
- Stay abreast of changes concerning health and safety regulations; keep necessary leaders informed of changes.
- Develop and lead the Governance and Assurance programs.
- Provide advice, strategies and problem solving to project personnel on all health and safety issues to achieve the goal of ‘no harm’ during construction.
- Degree in Occupational Health & Safety or another relevant discipline.
- Fifteen (15) or more years of progressive Health & Safety management experience.
- 5+ years of proven leadership/managing direct reports experience is required.
- British Columbian HSSE experience is highly advantageous.
- Experience in setting up HSSE systems, processes, tools and policies in construction and heavy civil type industry.
- Ideally, experience in a resource-based company (oil and gas, mining, extraction).
- Related Professional Certification an asset (e.g. CRSP).
- Extensive knowledge of H&S management systems and their implementation within a site/construction setting.
- Proven advanced auditor skills and certification(s) are essential.
- Ability to independently assess the functional performance of a safety management system, and develop implementation gap closure plans.
- The ability to understand the process flow and process improvement is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of Federal, Provincial, and local health and safety regulations.
- Strong time management, written/verbal communication, and digital technology skills.
- Ability to travel as needed, up to 25%+.
Please email your resume to [email protected] – with the subject header Director of Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE).
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19, Woodfibre LNG continues to work on a hybrid work model with three (3) days in the office.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre LNG Ltd is an equal opportunity employer.