The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves constructing and operating a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre Management Ltd is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
The Director of Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE) provides strategic leadership and management of the HSSE function across Woodfibre LNG (WLNG). The incumbent will champion the development, planning, implementation, and maintenance of the company’s HSSE programs and systems and be an integral part of the development of WLNG’s HSSE strategy. The successful candidate will lead a small corporate team and support our site and project HSSE teams in developing HSSE-related programs and systems, providing strategic guidance and oversight to ensure organizational compliance with local, provincial, and federal HSSE laws and regulations. This leadership position reports to the President and will drive safety innovation and lead the safety and risk associated with a large-scale construction project and future operational activities. In addition, the successful candidate will continuously drive excellence in core health and safety management systems and processes and facilitates integration into overall business operations for compliance, productivity and growth.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and lead the HSSE Management System for the company;
- Develop, implement, and manage all Safety and Health policies, procedures, and activities to ensure a safe work environment for all employees;
- Defines corporate HSSE objectives annually and assists site and project teams in setting goals;
- Implement an assurance strategy to monitor compliance against the project HSSE Execution Plan and HSSE procedures;
- Manage incident reporting and follow-up programs, including the analysis of trends and improvements;
- Provides oversight of incident investigations and corrective actions; ensures adequate corrective measures are put into place to prevent recurrence;
- Ensure that all incidents are correctly classified, investigated, and disciplinary actions and lessons learned are developed, closed on time and shared within the company;
- Collect and analyze HSSE data and develop goals, dashboards, and metrics to track effectiveness and areas of improvement;
- Play a lead role in developing and managing our ERP through support to site and project teams;
- Review and approve contractor’s health and safety management plans and safe operating procedures to ensure that controls are in place to achieve the lowest acceptable risk to eliminate or control the risks associated with the tasks;
- Lead, facilitate and implement project hazard analysis and risk assessment processes across the company;
- Develop and drive current and future sustainability and ESG programs;
- Stay abreast of changes concerning health and safety regulations; keep necessary leaders informed of changes;
- Develop and lead the Governance and Assurance programs;
- Provide advice, strategies and problem-solving to project personnel on all health and safety issues to achieve the goal of ‘no harm’ during construction.
- Degree in Occupational Health & Safety or another relevant discipline;
- Fifteen (15) or more years of progressive Health & Safety management experience;
- 5+ years of proven leadership experience, including managing direct reports, is required;
- HSSE experience in British Columbia is highly advantageous;
- Experience in setting up HSSE systems, processes, tools and policies in construction and heavy civil-type industry;
- Ideally, experience in a resource-based company (oil and gas, mining, extraction);
- Related Professional Certification an asset (e.g. CRSP);
- Extensive knowledge of H&S management systems and their implementation within a site/construction setting;
- Proven advanced auditor skills and certification(s) are essential;
- Ability to independently assess the functional performance of a safety management systems, develop and assist in the implementation of gap closure plans;
- The ability to understand the process flow and process improvement is an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of Federal, Provincial, and local health and safety regulations;
- Strong time management, written/verbal communication, and digital technology skills;
- Ability to travel as needed up to 25%+.
- Experience working with large multi-disciplinary teams and contractors in a multicultural environment is an asset.
- Communication/interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with front-line workers and senior management.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be innovative and vision-oriented with demonstrated ability to undertake strategic thinking and execution.
- Ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks, and change priorities within tight time frames.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Expertise with a variety of computer programs (e.g. MS Office).
- A valid driver’s license and passport.
- The position is based in Vancouver, BC, with travel to the EPC contractor’s office in Houston, Squamish (site), and possibly some international travel.
Please submit your application here.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Woodfibre LNG employees based in, or work out of, Vancouver office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with our COVID-19 Vaccination guideline as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required. If you are not able to obtain COVID-19 vaccination for a reason related to a protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation, you can request accommodation from Woodfibre LNG.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre Management Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer.