The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves the construction and operation of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and would produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre Management Ltd is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
The Area Construction Manager is integral to Woodfibre LNG’s dynamic team. You will provide leadership in the organization or functional area and are primarily engaged in management activities that establish the direction of a department, function, or project. The position requires applying knowledge gained from experience and expertise to perform the principal job duties and responsibilities. The position will make decisions in areas that may impact the organization and its employees, clients, budgets, policies, procedures, work practices, or compliance programs. The successful candidate reports directly to the Site Construction Manager and will support the company’s construction and senior management team through the project’s construction phase.
The successful applicant will:
- Assure that all requirements and expectations of the Operating System Requirements (OSR) are appropriate Operating: System Implementation Plan (OSIP) and strict adherence to other business line requirements.
- Perform on-site management, supervision, and coordination of self-performed and subcontracted work.
- Execute field construction activities conforming with project drawings, specifications, schedules, cost estimates, procedures, quality requirements and safety standards.
- Control project schedule and cost by efficiently using all construction resources, including manpower, materials, tools, and equipment.
- Provide input for developing project schedules in cooperation with the construction engineers and planners.
- Confirm that daily and weekly short-range planning is maintained down to the foreman level.
- Review design scope and approach regarding constructability and submit recommendations for change.
- Determine manpower levels to attain schedule milestones and monitor manpower levels and craft mixes to ensure conformance with the construction plan.
- Monitor productivity and cost and implement appropriate action to maintain maximum labour productivity and cost-effectiveness.
- Control change/scope creep, ensuring that all scope changes are quickly and properly documented and that change orders are approved before work performance.
- Implement the site safety and security procedures and project work rules.
- Play an active role in developing the safety culture on the project, making safety a natural part of all work performed.
- Assist the Site Project Manager in the overall administration of labour relations policies.
- Manage the contractual commitments of contractors, including cost, quality, and schedule and coordinate their field activities.
- Plan and manage the project’s temporary facilities.
- Maintain quality of all work per the standards specified in the design documents.
- Maintain the Project Quality Management Plan.
- Maintain an effective plan for the supply and control of tools and supplies.
- Administer, train, and motivate all personnel in construction operations through the superintendent and foreman levels.
- Remain knowledgeable of safety policies and procedures, safely perform assigned duties, and, while supervising others, have responsibility for their safety, confirm that they comply with established safety policies and procedures, and practice safe work habits.
- Typically manage personnel and provide an environment for staff members’ development and professional advancement, including on-the-job and formal training and development opportunities and timely performance feedback.
- Accredited four (4) year degree or global equivalent in applicable field of study and twenty (20) years of work-related experience or a combination of education and directly related experience equal to twenty-four (24) years if non-degreed; some locations may have additional or different qualifications to comply with local requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively with audiences that include but are not limited to management, coworkers, clients, vendors, contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Job-related technical knowledge necessary to complete the job.
- Ability to learn and apply knowledge of applicable local, state/province, and federal/national statutes and guidelines.
- Ability to attend to detail and work in a time-conscious and time-effective manner.
- Typically, direct and responsible for all staff assigned to the project(s) through direct reports typically consisting of managers and supervisors heading up the various functions (i.e., Safety Manager, Quality Manager, Construction Manager/Superintendents, Site Services Manager, Engineering Manager, Contracts Manager, and others as appropriate for the project(s)).
- Typically serve as a lead person to coordinate all activities and communication within the site/project areas and between those areas and other offices and locations.
- Coordinate and implement indirect activities, internal and external, required to support productive project execution, including functional staff support, support craft activities, and any other resources necessary to ensure a safe and quality project execution.
- Generally responsible for ensuring all work undertaken is within approved scope boundaries and fully complies with all pertinent requirements.
- Competency in administrative functions related to project and office operations is essential.
- Functional proficiency in project controls, human relations, industrial relations, and contract management as applicable to assigned area of responsibility; possess the capacity to direct those functions as required to support the project execution while typically being well seasoned in most functions as they apply to the management of the project.
- Responsibility typically includes serving as the single point of accountability to senior management, the client, and the community.
- Experience working with large multi-disciplinary teams and contractors in a multicultural environment is an asset.
- Communication/interpersonal skills – interacting with front-line workers through to management and all hierarchical levels.
- Accepts responsibility and demonstrates a commitment to the delivery of tasks and targets.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be Innovative and vision-oriented with demonstrated ability to undertake strategic planning and implementation.
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks and changing priorities within tight time frames.
- Demonstrates and seeks accountability within the team.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Expertise with a variety of computer programs (e.g., MS Office)
- Motivated and willing to take ownership of tasks.
- Energetic in pursuit of continuous improvement processes.
- Shares knowledge readily and encourages personal development.
- A valid driver’s licence (with abstract) and passport.
- Must be comfortable with a marine-type environment as the site is remote and travel daily is by boat only and is approximately 7km from Squamish.
- The position is based at our Site in Squamish, BC. There may be occasional travel to a local engineering office in the Vancouver area, the EPC contractor’s office in Houston or the Company’s Vancouver Office.
Please submit your application here.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre Management Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer.