Thanks for the question.
The “Woodfibre” in Woodfibre LNG comes from the name of the Woodfibre LNG Project site, which is located in the District of Squamish, British Columbia.
The site was home to sawmill and then pulp mill operations beginning in the early 1900’s, and was originally known as Mill Creek, after the creek that runs through the middle of the project site.
By the early 1920’s, Mill Creek was also home to a growing town, which included a post office. Because there was already a “Mill Creek” post office, the town needed a new name.
A naming contest was held in 1921, and local resident Cathy Haar won a $50 prize with her submission of “Woodfibre”.
The Woodfibre site is also in the traditional territory of the Squamish Nation. To learn more about the history of the Woodfibre site, visit our website.