The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves constructing and operating a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre Management Ltd is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
The Site HSSE Specialist is an integral part of Woodfibre LNG’s dynamic team. You will support the Woodfibre LNG Site team in the implementation and oversight of the Project HSSE Management System, ensuring compliance with legal and contractual HSSE requirements for the project, but also contributing to Woodfibre LNG’s enduring dedication to worker health and safety and environmental responsibility. The successful candidate reports directly to the Site HSSE Manager (or Project HSSE Manager depending on rotational schedules) and will play an essential part in supporting the company’s construction management team through the construction phase of the project, and potentially through commissioning and start-up. This is a 2-year term position with a chance of extension.
The successful applicant will:
- Monitor and assist with implementation of project HSSE and regulatory requirements
- Support, deliver and assess project-specific HSSE training
- Participates in and provide information for HSSE meetings
- Support the implementation of the HSSE communication strategy on the project
- Recognize, evaluate, and advise on hazard identification and mitigation
- Conduct HSSE inspections and audits. Coaches, monitors and evaluates project team’s completion of quality inspections. Verifies effectiveness of any corrective actions implemented
- Assist site HSSE management and supervision with the development and evaluation of the site-specific security and environmental plans.
- Audit and monitor contractor safety performance to ensure compliance with HSSE programs
- Perform compliance and quality audits and support reporting on key statistics and KPI’s related to HSSE
- Support project management on the investigation/documentation of incidents and participate in the on-site investigative process. Review incident investigation reports to verify accuracy and completeness, and evaluate corrective actions taken
- Support the implementation of project emergency response plan(s)
- Implement, monitor, and support the project’s HSSE Management System, and any other HSSE-related practices
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with management teams and field operations teams
- Take a lead role on site, as required, to manage the on-site HSSE team
- Other duties as required
- Occupational Health certification or applicable university degreeMinimum 10 years overall experience in a similar role
- Experience working with large multi-disciplinary teams, contractors in a multicultural environment
- Experience working in the petroleum or industrial construction industry for an owner/operator company
- Experience managing HSSE on large-scale projects with EPCM models
- Effective conflict resolution skills and experience
- Working knowledge of HSSE processes and applicable OH&S and Environmental legislation
- Strong working knowledge of terminology related to petroleum industry and construction processes
- Strong ability to influence, coach and mentor others regarding HSSE responsibilities
- Communication/interpersonal skills – to be able to interact with front line workers through to management and all hierarchical levels.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks and changing priorities within tight time frames.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Expertise with a variety of computer programs (e.g. MS Office)
- Expertise with incident investigation (RCA) and formal risk assessment processes
- ISO auditor experience/certification not required, but beneficial
- Motivated and willing to take ownership of tasks
- Energetic in pursuit of continuous improvement processes
- Shares knowledge readily and encourages personal development
- A valid driver’s licence (with abstract)
- Comply with Company’s Substance Abuse Policy requirements, including pre-access testing
- Meet the physical demands of an outdoor, construction work environment
- The position is based in Squamish, BC (site) and will be a rotational position
Please submit your application here.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre Management Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer.
Salary range: CAD 130,000 – 170,000/yr