Woodfibre LNG Limited is proposing to build a 2.1 mtpa liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant and export facility near Squamish, British Columbia.
The Woodfibre site is formerly a historic village used by the Squamish Nation, known by its traditional name of Swi’yat, before conversion to use for pulp and paper operations for over 100 years. Now the future of the site is planned to host one of the cleanest LNG facilities in the world and we are seeking a motivated and talented Senior Regulatory/Environmental specialist to help realize this opportunity.
In the role of Senior Regulatory/Environmental Specialist, you will be an integral part of Woodfibre LNG’s dynamic team responsible for implementing the regulatory, permitting and environmental compliance strategy for the Project. The successful candidate will report directly to the Senior Regulatory Manager and will take ownership over implementation of the Environmental Assessment approvals and in obtaining permits and approvals for the project construction. The successful applicant will:
- Lead the development of subject-specific environmental management plans, environmental permitting applications and approvals consistent with compliance and project requirements
- Manage and work collaboratively with environmental consultants and construction and engineering contractors in preparing and obtaining regulatory approvals
- Support the development and execution of scopes of work related to engineering design and construction in compliance with regulatory requirements, permit conditions, and environmental management requirements
- Develop and oversee baseline and monitoring programs to support permits, compliance requirements and mitigation effectiveness verification
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with external parties including regulatory agencies, Indigenous Groups and interested parties as it relates to the regulatory activities of the project
- Participates in developing and implementing a compliance management system to track and demonstrate compliance with the Project’s regulatory and environmental commitments and conditions
- Develops, maintains and meets schedules and budgets for related to regulatory activities.
- Assists with the interface with local media, government, regulatory, First Nations and NGO groups and implementing actions towards the Company’s sustainability goals
- Provides leadership through a personal commitment to influence overall safety behavior and a culture of environmental compliance; demonstrates compliance with company HSE policies and guidelines
- University Degree in an environmental discipline (e.g. environmental science, environmental engineering, biology, ecology, resource management)
- At least 10 years in an environmental role working on large natural resource or infrastructure projects in Western Canada, including British Columbia, with experience:
- Managing regulatory and permitting processes
- Involvement in tracking and/or ensuring and/or assessing compliance with environmental requirements;
- Working with regulatory agencies at Municipal, Provincial and Federal levels
- Working within large multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams
- Overseeing the work of environmental consultants
- Developing and/or implementing various subject-specific environmental management plans (e.g. water quality, fish and fish habitat, wildlife) to meet Environmental Assessment commitments and approval conditions
- Experience conducting consultation with First Nations.
- Proven ability to work with a culturally diverse group of people including First Nations with a cooperative team-orientated approach
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organization skills, ability to manage multiple tasks and a heavy workload
- Expertise with a variety of computer programs (e.g. MS Office)
- Motivated and willing to take ownership of tasks
- Energetic in pursuit of continuous improvement processes
- Shares knowledge readily and encourages personal development
- Available for business travel as required by company
- A valid driver’s license and passport – this role will be based in our Vancouver office but will involve travel to and from Squamish, BC
- Experience conducting the required “at least 10 years of experience” during the post-Environmental Assessment and construction phases of large natural resource or major infrastructure projects in Western Canada, including British Columbia
- Experience reviewing engineering design and interfacing with engineering teams to meet permit application requirements
- Experience working in the oil and gas sector in British Columbia
- Experience in an environmental role for a project owner/operator
- Experience conducting audits/inspections of a project’s compliance with environmental commitments
- Experience developing and/or implementing socio-economic management plans
Please email your resume to [email protected] – with subject header Senior Regulatory/Environmental Specialist.
Thank you in advance for your interest. Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Woodfibre LNG Limited is an equal opportunity employer.