The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves constructing and operating a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre Management Ltd is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
Woodfibre LNG’s Manager, Sustainability and Net Zero, is an integral part of the implementation team for the company’s ongoing development, monitoring and reporting of sustainability projects. This role requires technical capacity and expertise related to sustainability principles, net zero emissions monitoring and reporting and management of carbon offsets. Woodfibre LNG’s Net Zero approach involves both the management of carbon offsets, within the scope of this position, and an emissions reduction strategy that requires ongoing collaboration with the government and remains within the company’s Government Relations team in collaboration with Woodfibre LNG’s engineering team.
The successful applicant will:
- Support the company’s development, execution, and monitoring of key sustainability strategies, initiatives and the net zero offset strategy in alignment with the company’s vision and by ensuring industry and government policies and standards are applied.
- Work collaboratively across company departments and with identified external stakeholders such as offset providers and potentially the Squamish Nation to develop, implement, and monitor new sustainability initiatives or emissions reduction opportunities, projects, and activities.
- Stay informed of emerging research, studies, policies, regulations, and technologies related to greenhouse gas (GHG) and carbon markets and provide guidance and recommendations to management on how best to utilize up-to-date information on key trends, strategies, plans and initiatives related to sustainability, net zero, and GHG avoidance and offsets.
- Manage programs related to Woodfibre LNG’s Memoranda of Understanding with offset providers, including developing and planning conservation forest research and visitor centre initiatives and providing hands-on leadership for stakeholder visits to conservation forest sites in collaboration with Indigenous and non-Indigenous offset providers.
- Develop annual emissions reporting in conjunction with consultants.
- Provide information in support of Woodfibre LNG’s annual update of its Net Zero roadmap.
- Work collaboratively across company departments to develop content for Woodfibre LNG’s sustainability report, with the first issuance of this report to occur in late 2023.
- Investigate the benefits of sustainability certification schemes and prepare the business to implement programs that provide the potential for outstanding value to the company overall.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, natural or applied sciences, environmental management, resource management or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five or more years of experience developing, executing, monitoring and adapting strategies and solutions to achieve organizational goals and objectives, including those related to environmental sustainability.
- Self-starter at work; ability to work independently across departments to achieve objectives on time and to required standards.
- Independently managing a diverse workload, working well under pressure to meet firm deadlines with minimal supervision and working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintaining and growing productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Problem-solving, including navigating challenging conversations.
- Provides recommendations, options and solutions to management and non-technical professionals.
- Understands and interprets climate models, databases, forecasts, policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Delivers executive-level briefings, updates and presentations.
- Public forum presentation experience.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills, exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and problem-solving experience.
- Understanding of Carbon Footprint terminology – GHG emissions scopes 1, 2, 3; Carbon Registry; natural carbon offsets; removals, emission, avoidance, etc.
- Familiarity with and the ability to maintain knowledge of the evolving environment of government climate and net zero goals, plans, policies and regulations.
- Exposure to certification organization principles, standards, and auditing processes.
- Intermediate working knowledge of MS Office (e.g., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); experience with other software is an asset.
- A valid B.C. driver’s licence and Canadian passport.
- Ability to travel for work primarily within British Columbia and in both office and field settings.
- Knowledge of and experience with carbon offset projects and climate change research is preferred.
- Experience in the energy or natural resource sectors is preferred.
Please submit your application here.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Woodfibre LNG employees based in or working out of the Vancouver office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with our COVID-19 Vaccination guideline as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required. If you cannot obtain COVID-19 vaccination for a reason related to a protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation, you can request an accommodation from Woodfibre LNG.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre Management Ltd is an equal opportunity employer.