The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves the construction and operation of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and would produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre LNG Limited is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
In the Environmental Specialist role, you will be an integral part of Woodfibre LNG’s dynamic regulatory team responsible for implementing the project’s overarching regulatory, permitting and environmental compliance strategy. The successful candidate will report directly to the Senior Regulatory Manager and support the development and execution of the project post-Environmental Assessment and throughout the project’s construction phase.
The successful applicant will:
- Lead the construction monitoring activities associated with project execution, including pre-construction activities.
- Collaborates with construction teams to plan activities in compliance with project permits and environmental management requirements.
- Be responsible for the review of construction scopes against regulatory requirements, commitments, permit conditions, and Environmental Management Requirements.
- Review and provide input into scopes of work, bid packages and contractor environmental protection plans and method statements.
- Monitor compliance with permitting conditions, legal requirements and Environmental Management Requirements through data collection, records management field inspections, focused assessments and audits.
- Support execution contractor with investigations of environmental incidents.
- Participate in the site environmental sampling programs.
- Work independently and in a cross-disciplinary team environment.
- Participate in developing guidelines and program execution frameworks related to Environmental policies, procedures, and standards.
- Interact with contractors, consultants and Indigenous Monitors to assist the company’s sustainability goals.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to influence overall safety behaviour and a culture of environmental compliance, demonstrating 100% compliance with company HSES policies and guidelines.
- Degree in Environmental Science, Biology, or related field of study and 8 years of applicable experience. Suitable experience may also be considered in place of a degree.
- Knowledge of local, provincial and federal environmental regulations.
- Willingness to work safely outside on-site in all weather.
- Strong and demonstrated experience implementing and complying with project permits and environmental management requirements.
- Strong organization skills, managing, tracking and recording multiple tasks and a heavy workload.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Expertise with a variety of computer programs (e.g. MS Office).
- Motivated and willing to take ownership of tasks.
- Energetic in pursuit of continuous improvement processes.
- Shares knowledge readily and encourages personal development.
- Available for business travel as required by the company.
- A valid BC driver’s licence and passport – this role will be based in our Vancouver office but will involve travel to and from Squamish, BC and Indigenous Communities.
- Experience in marine, water, wildlife and contaminated soil management during the construction phase of a major project.
- Previous working experience on large natural resource or infrastructure projects.
- Excellent skills in project management, technical writing, construction planning and execution monitoring.
- Experience working with Indigenous Groups in BC and communities across Canada.
- Experience in working for a project owner/operator and through the construction phase
Please email your resume to [email protected] – with the subject header Environmental Specialist.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19, Woodfibre LNG continues to work on a hybrid work model. Employees have the flexibility to work from home but will be required to attend meetings and events within the office and/or site as and when required and on an as-needed basis.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre LNG Ltd is an equal opportunity employer.