The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves constructing and operating a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG.
Woodfibre Management Ltd is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver and a subsidiary of Pacific Energy Corporation Limited.
The Engineering Manager is an integral part of Woodfibre LNG’s dynamic team. You will lead the setup of a competent engineering team and provide engineering support to the project, plant operations and maintenance teams – to ensure a successful start-up and safe operation of the facility. The successful candidate reports directly to the Plant Manager and will play an essential part in supporting the company’s engineering and senior management team through the construction and operating phases of the project.
The successful applicant will:
- Establish a multi-disciplined functional engineering team to support long-term O&M during detailed design, construction, and production phases.
- Manage the plant’s laboratory and quality assurance.
- Provide leadership for process engineering, process control and technical integrity engineering of the facility.
- Lead and implement all process safety requirements.
- Provide leadership to a multi-disciplined team of technical authorities for mechanical, electrical and instrumentation.
- Manage production planning, forecasting and support to the marketing function.
- Manage the setup and operation of the IT systems support on the production site.
- Responsible for the plant technical management systems, including libraries, documentation, and improvements.
- Set up the Management of Change (MoC) process to control its implementation.
- Manage all required activities and tasks for completion for operational readiness, including maintenance strategies and spare part requirements.
- Ensure position descriptions are available/completed for all personnel in the team.
- Provide adequate performance measurement and feedback for team members.
- Set and communicate yearly tasks and targets for each person in the department.
- Manage the department’s key performance indicators (KPIs) and reporting.
- Provide leadership for continuous improvement of plant technical integrity and reliability.
- Manage the system for plant trip investigation/reporting and reliability improvement.
- Manage the plant audit plan and track improvements.
- Provide day-to-day support for operations on production issues.
- Analyze and report on plant/equipment performance alongside cost and efficiency improvement.
- Prepare the yearly budget and expenditure forecast for the Technical Services Department.
- Track and manage the Technical Services Department budget.
- Manage the development and implementation of engineering support contracts.
- Support to implementation of the Squamish Nation Impact Benefit Agreement.
- Develop and implements 100% department compliance with company HSE policies and guidelines.
- Be an HSSE champion as a member of the LNG engineering team.
- Head the department in HSSE meetings/safety walks/audits if and when required.
- Provide ownership to mitigate risks and ensure the safety of personnel and plant.
- Demonstrate a commitment to improving individual and process safety in the plant continually.
- Champion process safety and manage the process safety systems.
- Own and update the plant risk register and mitigations.
- Provide technical support for Plant Operations and Emergency Response Management.
- Participate in audits as required by plant management.
- Willing to undertake travel both internationally and domestically for business.
- Participate in short-term domestic & international assignments if needed.
- Available for call-out during plant/production upsets.
- Participate in competency assurance and training to further improve plant and personnel.
- A Licensed Professional Engineer is desirable.
- Minimum 4 years of proven technical competence within the LNG industry.
- Superior knowledge and application of LNG technology.
- Demonstrated experience in the supervision of a multi-disciplined engineering team.
- Knowledge and understanding of project interface requirements during detailed design and construction.
- Experienced in the development and application of engineering management systems.
- Proven experience in production and operational phases (LNG preferred).
- Experienced in leading plant improvement processes and management.
- Skills and knowledge to implement a plant integrity management system.
- Experience in the management of change systems.
- Communication/interpersonal skills – interacting with front-line workers through to management and all hierarchical levels.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Has a passion for building and guiding a small, dedicated team.
- Energetic in pursuit of continuous improvement processes.
- Shares knowledge readily and encourages personal development.
- Takes ownership of deliverables and demonstrates a commitment to delivering tasks and targets.
- He actively supports his peers and members of other departments.
- Demonstrates and seeks accountability within the team.
- Experience working with large multi-disciplinary teams and contractors in a multicultural environment is an asset.
- Ability to be innovative and vision-oriented with demonstrated ability to undertake strategic planning and implementation.
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks and changing priorities within tight time frames.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
- A valid driver’s license and passport.
As required, the position is based in Vancouver, BC, and Squamish (site), BC, with travel to the EPC contractor’s office in Houston and others.
Please submit your application here.
Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.
Woodfibre LNG employees based in or working out of the Vancouver office are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with our COVID-19 Vaccination guideline as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required. If you cannot obtain COVID-19 vaccination for a reason related to a protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation, you can request an accommodation from Woodfibre LNG.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Woodfibre Management Ltd is an equal opportunity employer.